• Ram C. Bhujel

Mags Crumlish lecture on ethical consideration of handling live animals for research

Day 4: Mags Crumlish highlighted the need to have ethical consideration of handling live animals for research which has not been given adequate attention in Asia. Similarly, Fiona presented about the need of strict health and safety procedures in laboratories for animal as well as students. Dave Little presented his work/research in various Asian countries about the nutritional value of small-self recruiting species and also mentioned that most parts of fish which are considered inedible in Europe, are the main sources of micronutrients such as head of Macro-brachium, skin and bones of fish which is used to produce fish chips or snacks. Edible part i.e. fillet is only about 33%, and the remaining large part constitutes up to 67% that plays more important role in the nutrition of Asian people where seafood is produced. Similarly, in Scotland, salmon head which is rich in Vit A, D, omega-3 etc. is sent to Vietnam or other Asian countries as it is considered inedible in UK/Europe. It shows that most educated or developed countries are throwing away the nutrient rich part of fish. Therefore, nutrition education and value of seafood is not just for less developed countries it is perhaps more important for developed countries and for educated people. Asians are already having high amount of fish/seafood. They often get nutrients from less valuable species such as snails, small rice field crabs, small shrimps in ponds, small self recruiting fish species, that are caught after or during harvesting of main crop.